Tuesday, June 3, 2014

WK1 Practice A: Second Life

Hello class,

I would like to start off by saying that I'm not much of a "gamer" so I will be looking at these games with pretty fresh eyes. Setting up the account for Second Life was really easy and you can get right into the game in about 10 minutes. I was Surprised that i needed to download a viewer for it but again I'm new to this sort of set up. The first thing I wanted to do was alter my Avatar, the basic ones to choose from didn't really seem to have a lot of variance. It might be a better idea to just start with a blank male or female figure and allow the player to create before moving into the game.

The movement of the Avatar through the game is pretty simple, I have some exploring to do with that still. I know there are tutorials and videos to teach all that but I am stubborn when it comes to instructions.

I can see how advertisers and promoter could get a lot of use out of this game. It reminds me a lot of the OASIS from a book called Ready Player One  where most of the population did all there socializing, shopping, and even work and school in the video game. Amazon or similar online stores could set up virtual malls for avatars to browse  through. Upcoming movies could set up areas that simulate the world the movie takes place in. There could be virtual theaters that show previews of upcoming movies. Schools could hold online classes in virtual classrooms.

For now it looks like it will mostly be used for socializing, meeting new people and chatting. I did get a chance to check out Pocket Metaverse which is a mobile app that Supports Second Life. There is not much game play to it, but it does give you the ability to stay in touch with Friends and some controls over inventory. The free version has ad (of course) which gives another avenue for companies to get there message to the players.

Screen shots will be posted soon. I just need to get into the game a little more.

My Screen Name for Second Life is AddicusP

No comments:

Post a Comment