Thursday, May 15, 2014

Week 2 Analysis: Web Basics



            There was not a lot that surprised me in this video. I would say I am intimidated by some aspects of design. I know enough about html, CSS, and JavaScript to know that I don’t have much patience for it. It is nice to know some of the basics but I don’t intend to get that deep into web design. I agree that like any other field to be a true “professional” you must dedicate a lot of time and effort to honing your craft. The parts that intrigue me are a little more accessible. I am more of a Hobbyist, or a working professional at most. I enjoy tinkering around in DreamWeaver and iWeb to create websites for projects I’m working on the share with friends and family. And it really is easy to get a site up and running in no time.
             I imagine my future need for working on the web will be similar to my needs now. When I have a professional project that needs web support I feel comfortable building and maintaining a site. If I come to a project that requires something beyond my understanding there are professionals to turn to. Even now there are so many resources out there to help you develop and tailor the perfect site that it really only depends on how much time you want to devote to making the site.
            A few of the topic I will explore some more on my own are blogs, Web servers, and app building. Blogs are pretty diverse now and have many features to help get your content online. I have this one for school. There are a lot of features I have never explored and a few blog sites out there that have even more. Knowing the full range of what I can do might give a great alternative to building a full website. I have worked a little with web servers and, much like blogs, only scratched the surface of what they can do. Most specifically I want to explore setting up web site specific e-mail. I think this could be a useful tool and adds a bit of professionalism. Last is app building, it is a mobile world and the need for multi-platform web presence is only going to grow.
            I’m not sure if it will affect my approach, but it has definitely given me a lot to think about. I am still on the fence about using a blog type set up or building in an app like iWeb. I am more familiar with iWeb, but a blog set up would be easier to get online and wouldn’t require a separate host web server. Think of the client as well, a blog set up would be easier to maintain and update.

No comments:

Post a Comment