Thursday, January 29, 2015

Media Publishing: RISE Self-Evaluation



Reflect – Going into this class I didn’t have much of an idea as to what we might be doing. My ideas of publishing leaned more towards the construction of physical books and magazines. This class was pretty helpful in broadening the concept into the history and practice of digital publication. I have enjoyed eBooks and magazines on my iPad but didn’t give much thought to the efforts that got them there. It has also been useful in understanding how I can use this form of publication to further my business venture.
Inquire – I knew very little about InDesign when we started. I know I still have a long way to go in mastering the program but I at least know how to get started now. I plan on going back through some of the Lynda courses and making more thorough notes. InDesign has a similar feel to other Adobe products (like Photoshop) which was helpful, but there are a lot of features I would like to explore still. It will be constructive to go in and make a few random fliers and brochures just to play around with the application.
Suggest – More time is always a big thing. I would have tried to get more information on what to put into my proposal. As I continue to build it I will add some more graphs and statistics. When using the InDesign application I would like to dig deeper into the templates and designs to see what works for my publication. As always the Lynda courses were very helpful and I do plan to go through them some more to see what I missed the first time. Getting started earlier and more planning is always a factor. This month was particularly difficult and more forward planning would have saved a lot of heartache and stress.
Elevate – I have read a lot of digital publications and know the conveniences it offers. Knowing how to create and utilize that convenience and influence is useful to anyone. Whether you are spreading word about your new business, a CD release, or why you deserve the inner office promotion knowing how to put together a visually pleasing publication is important.  I am looking to open a new business later this year and having these tools will help me in marketing and building a customer base. Our prospective patrons are those that we hope to keep engaged and active in the business and our community building projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment